If your recovery is going well and you’re ready for the job hunt, it’s time to write your resume. The two most common formats for resumes are chronological and functional. Both are acceptable. It just depends on how you want to present your work history.
Here are pros and cons to highlight the differences:
- Employers are most familiar with this format.
- A consistent work history is the most prominent feature.
- Employment gaps are more obvious.
- Specific skills and accomplishments are not emphasized.
- Transferable skills may be hidden and hard to locate.
- Specific skills are the most prominent feature.
- Employment gaps are more easily hidden.
- The format is more organized and to the point.
- It can be difficult to write in this format.
- It’s hard to reuse the same resume for multiple applications.
Here are useful websites to help you search for a job: